UGANDA : Afidra in race to regain fitness

Kampala

Friday at YMCA – Men
Warriors v Power (8.30p.m.
Nkumba v Ndejje (5.30p.m.
Ladies
KCC v UCU (7p.m.)

Much as DMark Power has strengthened their squad ahead of the MTN-Fuba basketball league, Isaac Afidra remains a vital cog in coach Eddie Baziira’s team.

However, Afidra, the MVP during last year’s regular season, has not trained since last December due to a calf strain. He even missed the pre-season warm up, the Sprite Super Challenge, which Power won. “I did a bit of practice on my own last Friday and will train again tomorrow (today) so I am not ready to play 40 minutes. At this point, I am looking at a maximum of 10 minutes,” Afidra told Daily Monitor.

Power signed Isaac Luggude (Falcons), Carol Bisereko (Warriors), Robert Mubiru and Boniface Okello, both from Miracle Eagles. As the league tips-off this Friday at YMCA court, Baziira might be forced to stick to his proven gun. “If the coach selects me, I will play. Mentally, I am fine but even without me, the team is okay,” Afidra explained. Power face champions Warriors in a repeat of last year’s best-of-seven final series which the latter won 4-1. Injured Richard Balemwa will is a doubt for the game.