SEYCHELLES : Cobras sign Nigerian Ohiero, release compatriot Solomon

A new season and a new approach for the Premium Cobras team who are desperate to get back to being the country’s best men’s basketball club and to dominate the game here.

OHIERO … Premium Cobras’ new recruitUnable to rediscover their stinging ability to annihilate their opponents with their venom, the Cobras have once again looked for help from overseas, this time in the shape of Nigerian Michael Oko Ohiero.

The Nigerian international playmaker arrived here on Sunday and trained with his new teammates on Monday.

Speaking to Sports Nation yesterday afternoon, Ohiero said that although he cannot predict the future, he is determined to win a piece of silverware with Premium Cobras.

“My aim is at least to win a trophy with the team in my first season here. The league title would be nice. I’ve heard that the team were a powerhouse here some time ago. I’m determined to help them renew the success they are used to.”

The 1.88m-tall playmaker added that shooting guard Ozegya Mohamed Buhari, who once played for Premium Cobras and is now plying his trade in Mauritius, encouraged him to join Premium Cobras.

“I was to come here last year, but I delayed my trip because I had to finish my studies and I also took part in the ninth annual Pro Tryout in Bonn, Germany, in June.

“I’m happy to be here. Mohamed told me a lot of good things about the team, the players, the management and the country. I was touched when the management team came to the airport to meet me on Sunday.

“I feel that I’m in the right place here and I love it,” added the 21-year-old, who played for Nigeria at the Fiba U-19 World Championships in Serbia in 2007 and is a member of his country’s senior national team.

A former member of the Lagos Islanders Basketball Club, with whom he won two National League titles and twice took part in the African Club Championships, Ohiero is the sixth Nigerian player to wear a Cobra shirt in seven years.

The first two were shooting guard Benjamin Adayehi and power forward Reuben Kolawole, who came in April 2004.

Then came another international, Buhari, in September 2005 after Adayehi left Premium Cobras to join the Cougars in the USA.

Point guard Buhari spent just one season with Premium Cobras, who recruited Alao Solomon and Simon Pusam in September 2008.

Solomon slams door on Premium Cobras

While Ohiero is happy to be here with Premium Cobras, his compatriot Solomon has slammed the door on the team who brought him here in 2008 in a bid to revive their fortunes.

Unable to win any of the major titles with the Cobras in two seasons – 2008-2009 – Solomon has moved to bitter rivals PLS Hawks, adding more speed and creativity to an Solomon has left Premium Cobras for PLS Hawksalready skilful backcourt led by tireless shooting guard Bernard Bristol, who also steps in as point guard when the coaching staff see the need.

Men’s division one champions PLS Hawks, who will take part in the Indian Ocean Club Championship in Reunion later this year, value Solomon as a good and important asset as he was rumoured to be on the verge of joining 2008 champs Baya in the close season.

Even though Solomon hasn’t trained with the team yet as he is not expected in the country until Sunday after a deserved holiday in his homeland, coach Clifford Joubert talked positively about him.
“He is a good asset and will help us both in offence and defence,” he said.

“I know he will adapt to PLS Hawks’ playing style and my players will help him integrate into the team.”

Coach and former player Joubert is also hoping that playmaker Thomas Collie regains his full fitness after a knee operation and shooting guard Jefferson Nganga gets back to serious training.

“Jeff relishes challenges within the team and it helps bring the best out of him. I’m looking forward to regaining his services,” said Joubert.

G. G. from http://www.nation.sc/