NIGERIA : Udoka targets return to glory with Nigeria


LAGOS (FIBA Africa Championship for Women) - One of Nigeria's most decorated players has set her sights on leading the Lady Tigers back to former glories after taking over as coach of the women's national team.

As a player, Mfon Udoka was part of the teams that won golds at the FIBA Africa Championship for Women in 2003 and 2005, as well as the All Africa Games in 2003. She also represented her country at the Athens Olympics as well as the 2006 FIBA World Championship for Women.

But since that 2005 gold, the medals have dried up for Nigeria and they have not competed at a major global tournament in the last five years.
That is despite having a number of talented players in leagues around the world, and Udoka is optimistic she can turn it around and restore the Lady Tigers to glory.
“We have always had the talent,” Udoka told Next. “Unfortunately money, scheduling and organisational issues are out of our control. If the federation puts the right things in place, then we have a good shot at it. A coach can’t make miracles happen, so it isn’t entirely up to the staff."

The former Detroit Shock star believes if the moves are made quickly, they can still qualify for London 2012 via AfroBasket Women, which takes place in Mali in September.
“I have always been optimistic, even as a player when I knew our team wasn’t very good or prepared," she said. "I like the young, experienced professional talent that has shown an interest in playing for Nigeria. If I didn’t believe we could do it I wouldn’t waste my time.
“If we do what is necessary I believe we can be at the Olympics. But the only way to do that is with good, experienced players and with a strong training programme."

Udoka retired as a player in 2010 and has no prior coaching experience. She admits it is going to require a leap from her as well as her players.
“Becoming a coach was always a possibility because it’s a natural progression,” she said. “But I can’t say it was something I aspired to. Coaching was also something I would never say I wouldn’t do.
“I have worked tons of basketball camps, and felt like a coach on the floor all through my career. Though there was also some shock because of all the obstacles and issues I dealt with as a player, people are excited for me, and many people tell me that I should pursue coaching as a career. So I’ll just take it one day at a time and hope for the best.”

FIBA

Comments | Print